Wednesday, January 26, 2011

News I Missed - A Law that Almost Changed My Life (maybe I'm being dramatic)

I'm particularly fearful of being hit some legal recourse on this story, so I'll give you a brief summary and link you in to the story.

A law was nearly passed to make it illegal to walk or run in Arkansas with both ear-canals plugged up with headphones, but the Senator backed off.

http://www.4029tv.com/r/26625584/detail.html

I live in Arkansas. I love to run on the local public bike/walk-ways for exercise. But I love to run and listen to music or podcasts. If passed, it seems it would have been okay to listen with one headphone, but when you've got a really powerful tune going, you need that stereo to give you that push to keep it up. At least I do. Besides that the free ear just opens you up to more "wavers", people expecting the friendly hello which can take you out of a podcast conversation or a riveting tune instantly. It takes the "me time" of running and makes it more of a "me, oh and you, and you, and sometimes you time", if you know what I mean.

I guess it's not worth dwelling on that much, since it didn't pass, but I think this leaves the door open for someone else to come in and outright outlaw any music listening (one in-ear-monitor or otherwise) while walking or running in my state or area, which I'm not okay with. As easily as this situation skated just under my radar, I worry that it could happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment